Turn the knob to 11


Tuesday, July 20

Stupor Week result

This is how I felt after the weekend.


The phrase "the older I get, the faster I was" springs to mind. When the fastest guy I know (locally), Tom Matush, gets in a break and laps the field, I'm not surprised. When there's a guy off the front of his break, and that guy laps the field twice and the break once? I don't care how old I get, I was never that fast.

Here's the very fast mofo making Brewery Hill look flat. He's Dan Martin from Cali.

A variation of the Canadian Cycling logo without the maple leaf.

A bamboo frame with aluminum lugs.

A former Michael Jordan (the #23) Suzuki Rider, Andy something or other. He's a 4 racing for Gear Grinders. His GF and he were hanging out at the beer, water, refreshment stop at the top of the hill.
Here are the hosts of the beer check. I should have wrote their names down, but his Waukesha-sha Hash name is B.M.W., and they had nothing to do with the event. They live about a block further up hill and thought a refreshment tent, which was free to everyone, would be a great idea. It was. I know I stayed the rest of the day because of them.

So, to get back to the race I started. On the 2nd or 3rd (probably 2nd) lap, while mid-pack, I found myself on Matush's wheel at the bottom of the hill. By the top I was done and gapped off the back. I chased for 3 more laps but Mr Fast Mofo had gone off the front and the pace car honked at me to get out of the way. He went by, and shortly after the break went by. When the field caught me I could barely hang on to them for a lap. I was definitely done. So I went for a cool down and changed into street clothes for the remainder of the day.

Yesterday was a better day despite being told I might not work this week again. I went for a 3 hour loop around Sun Prairie, Marshall, Waterloo and Cross Plains. I had a fox run across the road and managed a blurry Big Foot-esque shot with the camera. But then this happened... I was rolling down a hill and saw a baby bunny in the road ahead. I thought I'd get a shot of it playing chicken with me and then natural selection happened.


The hawk went into the trees and had his lunch and I had goose bumps for a bit. Rolling into Waterloo I passed the super-secret test area Trek uses. If I might make a suggestion to John Burke: If you don't want "unauthorized" people finding the trail, don't put up a sign announcing the entrance. I'm just sayin'.

Uncle Fuzzy took this shot of me at Eau Claire last weekend. This is the corner before the spot where I crashed during the pre-ride. I see I'm not using the brakes. Thanks, I almost look fast.

No comments: