Turn the knob to 11


Tuesday, January 13

Bike Swapping for less than $50

Saturday morning dawns and I roll out of bed intending to meet the 'Tosa Crew for the breaking of fast. Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to join them at the Pine Cone in Johnson Creek. So after my morning coffee I parked and walked to the rear of the expo hall where the swap takes place. As I open the door I'm temporarily blinded by white and lots of it...


Monty, I'd like to try door number 2 now.

It did occur to me that I'd misheard everyone and I was invited to a "wife swap." Since I didn't bring Karen with me I thought I'd best move along. It was tempting to load up on snacks as I worked my way though the Bridal Expo. Bowls of chocolates and other sweets were everywhere. Once I found the appropriate door I entered the calmer venue. The Lalondes were sharing a space near the front. I found a 1" steer carbon fork in Jesse's stuff for $10. I moseyed over to Russell and Cupcake's table where I found Coop, Liz, Bubba and Megatron behind the sprawling mound of parts. I dropped off my courier bag and fork and began the task of walking the maze of tables. So many shiny things, so little money this year. I suppose it's for the best. I really do have everything I need for my fleet. That didn't stop me from finding a few gems. A new Thomson stem for $30, a pair of brake levers for the inside of the 'cross bike for $3, a CODA chain ring for $5 (Russell wanted beer instead of adding to his wad of $$$$$)

I would have liked to have found homes for a few other items. The really sweet orange Ferrous ($1000) and the 58cm GT road frame that was made by Koichi Yamaguchi for a national team rider. ($300 with a King headset) He didn't know what he has. I at least got his email for when I do have the dollars. Anyone want to buy the Lemond Ti I have sitting idle to fund the GT?

Once everyone packed up we went to Glass Nickel for dinner and beer. Coop, Bubba and Megan made an early evening of it and returned to 'Tosa and we headed back to the Alliant Energy Center for the Roller Derby. Lawn chair weren't needed as there was ample seating for the 1500 spectators. Russell gave us the low-down on the rules and scoring and by half time we had an understanding of the chaos. Then we found out the mom of one of Sephie's classmates was skating for "The Quad Squad." Her alias on the track is "Blanche Devereauxxx" but we know her as Aiden's Mom.

It was a great time and we were back to the house by 11. Russell snuggled up on the couch with Fella, who was renamed "Chopper" in the morning. Cupcake and Liz retired to the spare bedroom. The next day we had a good breakfast at Tex Tubb's Taco Palace and the 'Tosa Crew returned home.

Then it snowed last night.

1 comment:

T mon T said...

how killer would that GT be, repainted with yamaguchi graphics ?? finds like that are why i need to stay away from big swap meets. :)