Turn the knob to 11


Monday, September 27

PM time

Preventive Maintenance on good tubulars is a bit of a PITA. They both were the darker color before the races this weekend but the rear got a workout on the drive side and the silk is latex free. All 300 threads per inch.
So I got out the necessary tools...
I hope I don't switch fluids tonight or I see a visit to the ER in my future. I wonder if Stan's plugs ulcers?

So I did some racing to wear off that latex on the sidewalls. The circus that is the USGP of Cyclocross was in town. I did the Master's 45+ 1,2,3 both days. I procrastinated the registration until Saturday morning so I was positioned at the back of the field at the start. I'd like to think I would have been closer to the teens or 20's in the results had I registered earlier, but the best I could muster was 43rd (started 58th) on Saturday. I was back a bit further Sunday. Saturday I felt great. I had no problems jumping on it out of the corners and the straights were done too quickly. Another racer commented to me in the pits "what pressure were you running in your tires, 100 psi? I couldn't stay with you on the flats." That definitely made the 49 minutes of suffering worth it. I had a plan after the first lap, stay on the gas on the straights and don't get brave in the technical sections or do something stupid. I stuck to the plan until less than half a lap to go. I'd made a pass after the pit area and had at least 15 yards on him as I headed into the U-turn on the grassy off-camber area. I also had too much speed and leaned over too far so the front tire let go. It seemed like only a moment, but a Superfan yelled "C'MON 58! YOU GOTTA WANT IT!!" I snapped out of it and hopped on the bike. I didn't get back up to the guy I'd just passed, but I finished.

Yesterday saw some course changes resulting in faster laps. More open area for me to feel faster but less recovery time had an effect. I could hear familiar voices, bells and horns all over the course. Hearing a voice I know is like having a hand on my ass giving me a solid push toward the finish. I know I dig that much deeper for the Superfans even if I'm at the back of the field.

The Axis held up and I'm a bit tender from two crashes. My left foot stayed in the pedal when I went down and I think I lightly sprained my left hip. I could hardly move after the race but I'm better today. It's a bit tender climbing off the ladders at work, and I barely feel it riding. I'll take it easy this week with the run-up practice, but The Race at the Domes is on the schedule. I'll be ready.

No comments: