Turn the knob to 11


Sunday, September 19

Enjoy the taste

Yesterday was the beginning of 'cross season. I had a great time for many reasons. At about 4 am I was awakened by a massive thunderstorm. It wasn't simply raining, it was hailing as well. I smiled and went back to sleep dreaming of getting covered in mud during my race.

Dreams came true. The course had received a good soaking during the night and morning which made it perfect for 'cross. I was surprised at the solid attendance. Chequamegon was the same day so many who might have raced weren't there, but the quality wasn't lacking.

The open area after the start
I took a lap and a half pre-ride and determined my tire pressure was too high. I also determined I need to cough up the cash for some Dugasts. The bike was bug free and I felt good so the only worry I had was how close to the rear would I be?

Me and Cupcake
The field was smaller, 9 of us, but with big Greg there I knew it would be a hard day. He eventually passed me and wasn't satisfied with just one race. He immediately did the race after ours. Once Craig gave us the "go" I was able to get a good start. At the first corner I was 3rd but everyone went wide to the right and I hit the apex to the left side. I was rewarded with a smooth lane of fresh grass instead of 3" of mud. It may have only been for 30' or so but it allowed me to get everyone behind me and let my ego feel great.

After the first corner

I was taking the corners as smooth as I could and was barely anaerobic. The first true climb would have seen me drop to the rear in previous years. Instead I killed it and was a few bike lengths ahead of the next guy. I helps being nearly 40 pounds lighter than last cross season.
Cleaning the second climb
It wasn't until the run-up to the church where I showed a weakness. Apparently I can't lift my knees and run up a hill. I see a lot of running up the sled hill at Olbrich Park in my future this fall. I slipped a couple of places after the run-up but once on the bike I was fine again.
Running the first barricade
I think we did 8 laps in the 45 minutes. I remember Katy catching me with 4 laps to go and letting her get around me on the first climb so she could stay in touch with Andrea Matter's twin sister. I stayed on her wheel for the rest of the lap and we chatted a bit. I passed her with some authority on the first climb a lap later and she asked "did you take a short cut?" Thanks Katy, that made my day. I got back on the pain train for the next lap and after the church run-up I wanted to hurl. I kept what little I had in my stomach down, but I knew I couldn't go much harder. That's the taste of a good 'cross race: the grit of mud mixed with stomach contents.

I gave my camera to Ms Pink and she took most of these great pictures, Thanks Vicki.

No comments: