Turn the knob to 11


Monday, September 6

Better

Saturday night was the WEMS Pitch Black Single Track at CamRock trails. Last year I brought both the Flyte (2x9) and the Ferrous (SS) and had this experience. This year I brought the Ferrous (1x9) and kept it simple. I arrived in time for a lap in the twilight which was a good thing since the course was significantly changed. I liked it for what that's worth. Half-way through I found myself thinking I should have installed the Reba. I must be getting soft or old, or both. I made it back to Heather's Bar at the start with 20 minutes to spare, but I missed the rider's meeting. I chatted with a few folks and found my way to the start for the Le Man's trot across the bridge to the bikes. With a minute or so to go someone says aloud "wait a minute while I update my Facebook status" which got a laugh from everyone.

3, 2, 1... go and we're off. I hopped on the Ferrous and was roughly 20 riders from the front. After the first climb up to the main Camrock lot for the MTB trail I was behind Justin (12 hr) and Geo (3 hr SS) and felt a bit winded. On the short flat Justin gapped me but I didn't let anyone around me and by the time we ducked back in the single track I was on his wheel. We, that is everyone for 15 headlights to the front or rear, maintained that tempo and it seemed we were content. Geo bobbled a corner and fell but I told him to pick up, relax and we'd be fine. Nobody bitched about getting around the fallen Geo (hey assholes in WORS, take note) and he hopped back on his Ferrous and in a few minutes he'd closed the gap back to where we were. Half-way around the lap was Checkpoint Victor Bravo Charlie. Last year I had paused on each lap and had PBR and a Twinkie on the last lap. This year I was rolling through with a tight group and I wanted to make the most of the pace and the extra lighting so I didn't stop. Besides, I didn't smell the advertised bacon cooking yet. The remainder of the lap was just as fast with no major drama. I rolled in to the Start/Finish village where I had the cooler and star-gazing blanket set and picked up a fresh blanket. I slammed the remaining water from the lap 1 bottle to Libby saying "get going Tim, there's no rest for the wicked." Cool, the superfans are out! So I roll up to the S/F line, say my number and roll out just behind Justin. He's in great shape so he's gone by the time I get across the bridge. Halfway up the climb I see flashes from a professional camera set-up as my suffering is recorded. I think I looked photo-worthy. Alone now and with no extra lighting from others I kept the same tempo as the first lap. That was a mistake. I was over-running my helmet mounted MiNewt and couldn't stay on the trail in the tighter corners. I lost chunks of time picking myself up and by Checkpoint VBC I was ready for a PBR. I paused and finished half of someone's. I rolled away thinking "ride smoothly and make up time. Speed is wasted if you're picking yourself up." So I spun a bit more and stayed within the beam of light. I rolled through the S/F and didn't stop for more water. Libby yelled something motivational... or she may have been mocking me, and I pinned it on the crushed limestone. The 3rd lap I kept the smoothness and didn't crash or over run the lights. I kept saying aloud "smooth and steady" and with a pause at VBC for a full PBR I was feeling good and having fun. I know it was slower but it was less painful and the trees were grateful. I got back to the S/F and saw the clock reading 10:38 so I kept going. I was mistakenly thinking that I was starting a lap before the 3 hr cut-off so it would count like at 24/9. I stopped at Checkpoint VBC for a full PBR and a Twinkie and gave an interview to someone with a blinding light on a video camera. Josh Giffey asks how my race went. I told him I'm on my last lap and it's going well. He replies "it's after 11, this lap won't count" Dammit, I forgot WEMS rules are different. So I say "I guess my race went well, but I get a PBR, a Twinkie and some bacon" ...but the bacon wasn't ready. Oh well. With my race over I finish the single track after VBC and drop off the course at the limestone trail along the river. I motor back along the river to the S/F to confirm that I had finished on the previous lap. Libby, Geo and Paul are all there ready to make fun of me for not being at the rider meeting and not knowing when to stop.

1st lap- 47:08
2nd lap- 54:37
3rd lap- 56:58
total- 2:38:43

I was/am quite satisfied with the night. I rode well enough all night, especially the first lap and had a blast. Looking at the timing for the laps I could have placed as high as 6th (Zach Giffey wouldn't have let me) if I'd have skipped the PBR at VBC. But that wouldn't have been as much fun. I'd rather have my 8th and finish 20 seconds behind 7th... but maybe I'll drink faster next time. That should pick up a couple of minutes.

No comments: