Turn the knob to 11


Monday, August 2

Why Single Speeds are better

I think I figured it out. A standard mountain bike has 3 chainrings and 9 gears. Some folks don't put too much thought into how that works out. But what if there's more to it that that? What if the universe has that "Matrix" thing going on? What if that confuses things? I mean, what if when you have a shifter on your handlebar, there's more than a cable connecting it to the derailleur? What if it isn't as simple as "I only use one gear at a time" when you're pedaling?

Let's see if I can figure this out. I'll show my work...


Could it be that involved? Maybe. Maybe that's why chains break. Maybe the links are thinking "this sure is an easy job, I'll just follow this link in front of me all day. Hey, where are we going? Hey link in front of me, where are we going? I don't know, I'll ask the link in front of me." And this goes on around and around until one of the links is asked to have a red pill or a green pill. Or Angie looks at the chain.

Hmmm, 29er wheels vs 26" wheels... Where's my slide rule?

No comments: