Turn the knob to 11


Saturday, January 17

counting chickens

The feeling of security was short lived. THe call for work Tuesday was followed up by a call yesterday for no work. In those three days 4 guys worked hard enough to get transferred to the job I was hoping to do. They finished their jobs to avoid getting laid off and timed it well enough to get transferred to the other job. So I'm back to waiting patiently. I doubt the Kenosha gig will be offered to me or anyone else in my class. Our committee just voted this month to allow apprentices to travel outside Dane County for work. Other locals have been allowing this for years but now we have to get a policy in place.

In response, Sephie and I went out to celebrate. A visit to Ale Asylum was in order as Sephie wanted to sharpen her pool skills. While there I had a conversation with one of the folks about a youtube video of the bottling process. I didn't see Laverne or Shirley, but they are probably bottling PBR for Russell these days.


I was invited to attend the North American Handmade Bicycle Show. It's at the end of February in Indianapolis. I'll be strapped to the bumper of the vehicle containing Russell, Cupcake, TmonT and MKmonT. Something was said about riding fixies once we're there. I think Bubba might pass the Bianchi slut on to me for the occasion. Having a fixie after the HBS could be an interesting proposition. I've looked at the options for food and beverages. Russell will be happy with this option.

Before, or better still after dinner we should try this option. There are other "brew pubs" but after a quick look at their menus I suspect we'd be better off going to Shenanigans if we want their kinds of beers.

I've ridden a fixie before, well, actually it a Panasonic Track 4000 I had from '87 to '95. I used it for roller workouts but occasionally I'd get brave and tried it in the neighborhood. It scared me to death. In '91 I did two events at the 7-11 Velodrome in Colorado Springs. One was a miss-n-out. I lasted for maybe half the race which was when the faster riders were able to truly scare the shit out of me. The other was a Madison I did with J-me Carney. That was better for me in that all I had to endure was getting or giving the sling. Oddly I could do that without crashing.

So from now until the end of February I'll try thinking like a fixie rider. Unless I can borrow my neighbor Matt's bike. I wonder?

4 comments:

T mon T said...

MK is skeered to death. if you bail to the "flop" side of flip flop, i am sure she won't tell . . . . . .

i am quite used to ignoring her as a general habit, so i gather "i'm not doing THAT" translates roughly to "i am mildly apprehensive about this plan, father".

The Shed Master said...

FYI - my Ol' Man worked for 39+ years bottling up "The Champagne of Beers". Sometime around his 35th year or so, he lost all desire to drink a beer.

monogodo said...

To truly think like a fixie rider, you'll need a Che Guevara t-shirt & skinny jeans with Converse All-Stars. Or maybe an Atari t-shirt. Whatever the t-shirt is, it's gotta be vintage & worn ironically.

Oh, and spoke cards. Ya gotta have spoke cards. I'm not exactly sure why, but they're required.

monogodo said...

I'd let you borrow my Che Merckx t-shirt, if you promise to send it back.