Turn the knob to 11


Thursday, November 8

It's not the "off" season

For some it is 'Cross season. For others it's Bow-deer season. Others are waiting for Gun-deer season. Lastly, the holiday season is approaching as well.

Part of the holiday season this year takes on a new dimension for me. I've been working for a small company since March, 5 others and me. When you work with the same guys day in and day out, at different sites, you either sink or swim. Wade, a less than stellar example of an electrician in my apprenticeship class, was with us until last week. The owners had grown tired of his lack of motivation and poor performance as well as his constant tardiness. He sank himself and after 5 months they got rid of him.
That's been part of my stress of late and not because I've been carrying his load. I could give a fuck about Wade. It just stresses me to see people show up for a paycheck without doing quality work.

My my efforts were rewarded today, I was invited to participate in a male bonding ritual dating back to caveman times. Hunting. Well, not really hunting. It'll be more like shopping.

Unless you've been living in a cave without CNN, FOX or Comedy Central, you saw this nation's vice president get into trouble for shoot a lawyer in the face. No, I'm not going lawyer hunting. I'm going to one of those game farms to hunt pheasant. Dick is coming, Not VP Dick, but former owner of the company and soon to retire Dick will be attending. As far as I know Dick hasn't invited any lawyers.

Please don't get the wrong idea. I abhor canned hunts. I'd rather sit in the woods and not see so much as a flea than pay $20 a bird to have them seeded in an area the size of my back yard. But... I'd like to have a chance to have a future with this company if I get rotated back at the end of my apprenticeship. It could mean being a permanent employee even if a few pheasants die every year... To make it sporting I'll be using the side by side 12g ala Elmer Fudd.

Oh, I will eat what I kill.

1 comment:

monogodo said...

Oh, I will eat what I kill.

Even if it happens to be a lawyer?