Turn the knob to 11


Thursday, August 9

Monkey Butt

I generally like my Carharts. They're to an electrician what lycra is to a cyclist. Useful pockets, double knees, tough and heavy denim. But when the heat index is over 110 degrees inside a building which has no open windows and the ventilation system isn't powered yet it really doesn't matter what you're wearing. After the first 30 minutes my shirt is soaked and by lunch so are my shorts. By the end of the day the only dry part of my body is my socks. Today my ass felt worse than it did at 24/9 after a lap with wet shorts. No riding today.

This week after the WORS event at Crystal Ridge has been mental exercise. I dug deep in an effort not to find Dave Volpentesta after the race and beat the shit out of him. During the second lap I passed him only to see him 50 feet in front of me two corners later. He'd cut the course right in front of me and in the end there was nothing I, Don or any of the officials with the event could do without a second witness. So I begged some beer off Dan Schneider and Bubba at the top of the climb and tried to relax. This is the first I've thought about it in 3 days so I'm doing well.

As for riding, where did I used to get my desire to ride when it was 100+ degrees in Dallas? I'm not going to Ore to Shore. I'll do an epic road ride instead.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey.. thanks for helping out with the wheels today. will pick the new spokes up in the after and hopefully get more time while the kids nap.

Unknown said...

arghh.. should have had you show me how to pull the chain apart and put it back together.. pain in the butt to rebuild it and it still looks crappy, even after the clean-up..