Turn the knob to 11


Sunday, July 22

SNAP! uh oh... v2.0

After a good week I decided to head over to the Crystal Ridge course in Franklin for the WEMS race. I was still vacillating with 11 minutes before the start of the 30 mile race when Super Dave says "it's all good miles racing before 24/9." Oh what the hell, it's only $25. So I scurry over to the Rig, change the 15t to a 19t and hop into the BKB kit. I was able to stroll down the hill with a minute to spare before the Le Mans start back up the hill. I ran relatively hard and was easily in the top 10 onto the trail. I caught one single speed before the nasty single track and latched onto the rear wheel of a Muddy Cup rider. He was super smooth and he made it easy for me to go fast with 2 riders behind me taking turns bumping my rear tire. When the trail opened up again they zipped by me on their multispeeds and I tried to spin the 19t up to stay in touch. That didn't work. We hit the single track again and I caught back up and was content having them show me the lines and brake points. As we exited onto the gravel trail we wound around the western slope of the ski hill. Last year I ran a 32x19 for the WORS event there and walked the western slope every lap. The 34x19 wasn't easy but being in better fitness than last year showed as I was able to stay with the group to the top. Then they shifted gears and railed the flats.

Races like this keep my perspective straight. I was running between 10th and 15th once things were settled by the 2nd lap and I was content. I knew who was in front of me, good Elite and Comp riders on multi speeds. Yeah, there were 3 or 4 singlespeeds in front of me too, but I think they were Comp riders or they were locals who live on those trails.

I was cruising the 6.1 mile laps in 37 minutes and being relatively successful in dodging the trees in the first section of lethal singletrack. I wasn't hurting and was content following a multispeed when I sat down and heard a familiar SNAP! from beneath my fat ass. Only this time there was a bit of BANG! mixed into the sound. The guy in front took a quick look behind at me and asked if I was okay, "was that your chain?" I take a look and my seat is where it should be but now there's a rattle. I sit down again and the seat moves significantly. I reach back, grab my seat and as I lift it it takes the top of the seat tube with it. "Nope, I broke my frame." Dammit. As I pull off the trail out of the way I briefly thought about riding the next three and a half laps standing. No fucking way, I didn't need to finish for points so I bailed.



As I come out of the woods Dan Schneider sees me bushwhacking and says "hey, no cutting the course!" I can only shake my head and yell back "my frame broke, I'm done." I rode up the finish hill one last time and Rick, who was working the event says "what's the problem?" I reach back, pull the detached parts and toss it in his direction. Sorry it landed so close, I wasn't trying to hit you.


The usual group of onlookers assembles around the carnage. I can't blame them, it isn't every day you can see a broken frame.


Rick gives me a "drown your sorrows with this beer" as I sit down to watch the rest of the racers. Al was nice enough to offer his El Mariachi for a test lap but I lacked the motivation to change the pedals.

I looked at my watch and saw TBSwest sieeeeda was open so I gave Jesse a quick call. I told him what happened and his first words were "what color do you want your new frame to be?" Pink, definitely pink. He tells me to bring it in (today) and he can get the ball rolling. If a new frame isn't here in time for 24/9 he offered me his 19" Rig with V-brakes. This makes my freak-o-meter turn off. At least I have a bike for 24/9. Russell offers his glow in the dark Gunnar to me as well. Once I got home I stopped by Paul's place to show him the break and he adds a Ferrous to the stable of bikes.

So as I stripped the parts last night I wasn't worried about having a ride beneath me in a week. But I did feel sad. The Rig has been good to me and I've learned quite a bit from it, and not just about riding a singlespeed. I'll miss it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that's quite the break..