Turn the knob to 11


Tuesday, July 3

Hucker Handiman

The Space Bars I ordered yesterday came in today's mail. That was pretty freakin fast for $5 shipping. So instead of riding I drove to TBS Eastsieeeeeda to buy a pair of BKB grips and some brake housing.

Sephie found the 24" MTB's while I was taking care of bidness. The one she liked was fully rigid, mostly because it was more like a hybrid being a 7.2 for ~$450. It had room for 24" knobbies, and I'd rather have her hone her skills on a rigid than learn sloppy on a faux suspension bike.

No sooner did we unload in the driveway and start installing bars on the 69er did I have an audiance. A couple of kids, Chaz and Steve, on BMX bikes stopped to gawk. They had plenty of questions ranging from "do you race?" to "how many tools does it take?" Steve asked if I was going to do the 24/9. That caught me off guard. Steve then explained he has a Freeride Mongoose awaiting a new fork over at Willy Bike. I explained I was prepping the C-dale for 24/9 and had just installed the Switchblade. He asked if I could install his fork and save him $10. I couldn't think of a reason why not so I told him I'd do it. The left and returned maybe 30 minutes later with a frame, fork and headset. 20 minutes later the parts were united. In the time it took me to zip over to Michaels Frozen Custard with the family he'd put his wheels, seat and brakes on and ridden over to show it off to me.

While installing the fork we had talked about the recent work he might find interesting at Quarry Ridge Park. Ater seeing Jesse's carnage on his blog I'll make sure he has a helmet before he tags along.

I never did finish my work.

No comments: