Turn the knob to 11


Saturday, November 10

'07 Season Summary

All in all I have to be happy with 2007. Not too many things went wrong and a number of things went right. So for '07 I've got a few things worth noting...

Best "feel good" moment--- Rick Walls gets a "thank you" card. At the Eau Claire WORS race Rick Walls followed the kids race when Russell's car died and Russell couldn't attend. One of the young ladies was bringing up the rear of the race and Rick was dilligent in his duties and made sure she had a good race. Afterward, the young lady drew him a thank you card. She had drawn Rick on his green Salsa following her and she essentially called him her "hero" for following her. I'm pretty sure that card has more meaning to Rick than any medal he's ever earned. It was a very cool moment.

Best Race--- Suamico WORS. While we didn't use all the single track availible, it was a great course. Finishing 4th didn't hurt, but the competition during the race and the overall experiance made Suamico the best race of 2007. I'm looking forward to '08 there.

Best Finish--- Phillips WORS. The family made the lengthy drive up nort' der hey to the Price County Fairgounds on Father's Day weekend. The usual good group of people to hang out with at a WORS race was there even if all the competition wasn't. While the Phillips course isn't a rigid SS friendly course I sucked it up and turned in the ride of the year winning the single speed class. Having Sephie and Karen there to see it all from start to finish was the best Best Father's Day gift.

Best Disaster--- Breaking the Rig frame. At the Crystal Ridge WEMS 3 hour I broke the Rig. Gary Fisher warrantied it for a Ferrous. The Ferrous is a joy to ride.

Best Disaster Runner-up--- The nail in the tire at Sheboygan WORS. I needed a handfull of points to reclaim 3rd on the SS standings so I was ready to go. Until somehwere in the first 1/4 mile when my rear tire picked up a nail and put me so far behind everyone my race was over. I fixed it and turned in a quaility performance but the nail ended it all. But then, that's racing.

Best Sleepless Night--- 24hr Nationals. If not for lighting problems it would have been extremely cool. As it was it was very cool doing a 4 man 24 hour race for the first time. I'll be doing it again next year.

Best Disaster 3rd place--- 24hr Nationals with a Sigma light. The free loaner light Sigma gave me died barely half-way into my first night lap. It didn't fare any better on my second night lap. Trail riding by Braille was aided by the Reba but I don't suggest it be duplicated. On the up-side, I did meet some very cool people in the dark who were very giving and helped me get back to the start/finish each time.

Best Road Trip--- Driving to Eau Claire with Sephie. Having Sephie as my co-pilot during the drive was great Father/Daughter time.


So that's that. I hope everyone I raced with (not against) enjoyed my participation. I know I enjoyed sharing the trails with everyone... even if most of them weren't on singlespeeds. Here's to a similar 2008.

No comments: