Turn the knob to 11


Sunday, October 21

PowerTap, a new tool?

So here's some pretty graphs from my recent workouts with the PowerTap.

Workout #1 was "hill repeats". We were to maintain a steady cadence while holding wattage at ~80% of our threshold wattage. Since I wasn't sure what my threshold was (or is) I used 300w as my threshold. Keeping it around 240w felt good but still like I was pushing. In the 4th (of 5) intervals I stayed seated for the 10 minutes and ramped it up as high as I could for the last minute.


Workout #2 was more of a learning experience. I use the rollers with my road bike and on that ride I neglected to check the resistance setting on the rollers. I was suffering like a dog trying to meet the 95 cadence/90% TW (270w) The only gearing I could meet that was my 39x19. The previous week I'd have been on something like my 53x18. It didn't make any sense so I asked the instructor WTF was up? Was I overtired having raced Saturday but not ridden Sunday? He asked if I had checked the resistance... it was on 2 of 3 when I usually have it set at 0. You can see the change roughly halfway through the graph. I was able to recover and meet the workout goals and even do the intervals at the end.


Here's a decent sustained wattage from the first workout. I was suffering having just raced the day before. I wish I'd been able to capture that effort but oh well.


Here's the intervals from the #2 workout. I noodled at ~80rpms until it was my "turn at the front of the pace line." Then I dropped it to the 53x13 and hit it for 30 seconds.

No comments: