Turn the knob to 11


Wednesday, August 1

That rock bottom feeling we all know

This weekend while I was off at 24/9 my dear cat, Palisades "Pal", was suffering from renal failure. It may have been lillies, it may have been some other toxin, it may have simply been his time. Monday after work I discovered him in a quiet place in the basement bedroom and took him to the Vet. Today he died. As fierce as he could be he was always a kitten. His growl lacked malice and everyone who heard it would laugh. I laughed because I knew he was a sweet soul who couldn't hurt anyone. He was easily fooled. I could wear clip-on cat ears and he would puff his fur and hiss at me, but as soon as I took the ears off he would look at me as though he was seeing me for the first time. Nightly he would wait for me to retire. He would hop onto the bed and curl up next to me as though we were spooning. Once I was asleep he would go outside and do what all cats do at night. I'm glad I recovered him from Palisades State Park in South Dakota 4 years ago. As a kitten barely as big as my hand he would have been a poor meal for an owl. He grew to be a lovely mature cat. I'll miss him.

I can't find Merlin either. I hope he's only lost.

2 comments:

monogodo said...

I'm sorry to hear about Pal. We'll miss his company when we come up in the future.

I, too, hope that Merlin is only lost.

Anonymous said...

Tim, I too am sorry to hear about Pal. They might not be human but damn if cats don't embed themselves in your life and fill a space that humans rarely can. I hope Merlin shows up soon. take care.