Turn the knob to 11


Friday, June 29

Go fast wheels

Is there such a thing? I hear folks at races and shops talking about wheels. Mountain wheels, Road wheels, Tri wheels, Cross wheels and Fixie wheels. Everyone is looking for a set of wheels to do the work for them. While I appreciate good quality hubs, spokes and rims, even the oldest Campy hub rolls smooth enough for the best racers of today. Yeah, lighter rolls easier. But most people are incapable of going fast enough to benefit from any aerodynamic shapes of rims or spokes. Box section rims and butted spokes do the job. I'd rather have some MA-40's or Sigma 20's than whatever composite fabrication is currently all the rage.

While you're at it, glue them on to the rims. Yeah, clinchers are better than they were 20 years ago but they're still not as nice as a good tubular. Comp 240's would be nice but Sprinters will suffice.

Tomorrow I'll try some Rockwerks hubs on Campy Victory Crono/Strada rims with Vittoria Tigres glued to them. I can always bail out and race on the IRC Mythos CX Slicks, on road rims.

I just hope the motor is ready to run hard.

No comments: