Turn the knob to 11


Tuesday, April 24

Interstate Love Song

Dodgeville never materialized. I lacked the motivation to get out of bed until after 10 am Sunday, possibly because I actually put in a better than average effort Saturday. So instead of riding the bikes I cleaned and adjusted the fleet. The Seven looked like I'd left it in a sandbox for a month and the Rig and the M900 were a bit dirty. By the end of the afternoon they were all shiny and clean.
I'd made up my mind to race Rock Cut this Sunday rather than drive to Iowa. I pulled the 22 and installed a 19. The initial plan was to take the bike to work with me Wednesday and drive directly there to get an idea of what gearing and tires would be best suited. Then I remembered I have my last night class. So this morning I adjusted the plan. I called a shop in Rockford and was advised to run the tallest gear I could handle. At lunch I swapped the 19 for a 15 and packed up the car. After school I was southbound and an hour later I was at the park. Rolling on the 34x15 wasn't bad. After 5 minutes or so I caught a rider in a jersey that had "Bike Patrol" across the back. He wasn't actually Bike Patrol, but he was the Race Director for Sunday's event. Coach Swanson, I forgot his first name but he is a Gym Coach for a school, was kind enough to show me the lap and give me pointers along the way. By the end of the first lap I was considering changing to a 16 or 17. Jesse had advised me last year to find a gear I could push but then go one easier as I'd find it nearly perfect late in a race. Sound advice, but once I left Coach to do a lap at my own pace I found the 29er advantage making the gear easy. Momentum carried me over the minor hills and I felt like I could do a third lap but the sun was starting to make an exit.
Then I had to find my car. I came out of the woods and 20 minutes of road riding at a solid tempo I finally found the VW. An hour later I was in the warmth of a shower while the rice cooked. Today's ride 2:45, avg HR 142 (165 while solo) max HR 175.
Tomorrow will be a rest day with night school getting in the way but Thursday will be back to work with focus.

No comments: